Eggplant Pesto


Pesto is probably one of my favourite things to make on any given day of the week. It's easy to make and full of so much flavour that it's really hard not to fall in love with every batch you make. On top of that, if you make it fresh and skip out on a lot of oil, it can be pretty healthy, too.

Over the past few weeks, I've been grating so many sundried tomatoes together to make pesto, that I felt that it was time for a bit of a change in flavour. Herbs, of course, are a bit difficult to come across at the local supermarket in Hong Kong, so the basil version was out too. Instead, I thought I'd run a bit of an experiment and turn one of my favourite veggies (eggplant!) into one of my favourite dishes.

The pesto was a bit wet and gooey because of the water in the eggplant, but it really didn't bother me. The overall taste was very fresh and light, just like it should've been. I can't wait to go back for more! In fact, I saved some to do just that later in the week.

Ingredients (Serves 2)
1 medium asian eggplant
1/4 cup sundried tomtoes
1/4 cup basil
1/3 cup walnuts
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Directions
  1. Char-grill the eggplant over an open stove-top flame until its skin turns black and the flesh becomes soft. Allow to cool, then peel and set aside.
  2. In a food processor, add sundried tomatoes, basil, and walnuts. Pulse a few times until they crumble, but still retain some texture.
  3. Add the eggplant and olive oil. Pulse a few more times until all ingredients are thoroughly mixed. 
  4. Serve with pasta, or eat it on toast!

Popular Posts